Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Saying NO to 'Adult Life'

Well here it goes.... I used to be that person who never understood how people were out of shape, never understood why they couldn't just go to the gym, never understood why they felt insecure in a gym, never understood why it was so hard to eat healthy. I mean if I had managed to do it for five years consistently it couldn't be that damn hard.

I get it now. And you know what, I refuse to let adult life conquer me. I am standing up to the way society is and I am no longer succumbing to the stresses of daily life. I will not be taken down.

Let me back up here. I have now been graduated from college for nearly a year. We are living in my father's basement to save money which has put me two hours away from the rest of my family and all of my friends. I work a stressful and exhausting job that requires twelve hour shifts and a 45 minute commute each way. I'd like to say that because of all of this 'I just don't have time anymore.' But the reality is I only work 3-4 days a week and I have a RIDICULOUS AMOUNT of time to myself. I always think about how much time I have and how much other people (like my mother!) would do with all of it. And here all I've done with my spare time is make Netflix my new BFF.

I thought that after college and with my new job I would prep all of meals, have my macronutrients on point, be able to do fasted cardio in the AM, and weight lifting in the PM. I really thought that I was finally going to be able to devote all of the time I had ever wanted to accomplishing my fitness goals. Well wasn't I naive. It's really not that I'm lazy. I have so much time that my time lacks purpose....which depresses me. And the further I have fallen out of shape the less confidence I have to even bring myself back to where I was. On top of all of this I no longer am able to control my nutrition environment. I can't only keep healthy foods in the house. I am living with someone who keeps a pantry stocked full of Oreos, Chocolate covered almonds, Sugary cereals, etc.

And so I finally understand. I understand what it is like to go to the gym and not be able to complete your planned workout because you feel insecure. I understand what it's like to have no motivation to go to the gym at all because it seems like you have so much to accomplish. I understand what it is like to live in a household full of temptations. And I understand what it feels like to be so tired and stressed after work that all you want to do is watch TV and eat. While other people looking in might say 'welcome to adult life that's just the way it is'. Or ' I knew you wouldn't be able to keep it up forever'. I'm saying no. That is NOT just 'adult life', that is NOT just the way it has to be as we all get older. I am reclaiming my passion for this and I am refusing to become the average. And in doing so I hope that I can inspire other people to say no to typical adult life. I want to feel healthy, strong, and confident. There is so much I want to do in this life and it all is going to rely on a healthy body --from babies to traveling to hiking.


And so here they are...my accountability posters. I made these before April 1st and never actually started. They are still good to use! I wrote my reason for 'why' on the bottom of mine so that whenever I pass it I can see why this is so important to me. I am blessed to have a husband who goes a long with whatever I do and supports me. He wants to be healthy ALMOST as much as I do ;).

Now I invite everyone to say NO to 'adult life'. Whether it is holding you back from health and fitness goals, holding you back from having fun, or making you think you must continue with a career that makes you unhappy. Whatever it is -- it is time to realize that life is short and you cannot let the chaos of it defeat you from being who you want to be.


- Katelyn


No comments:

Post a Comment

About me

Flickr Images

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Popular Posts